If you just got home from work tired and hungry, only to remember that in a fit of healthiness you bought Swiss Chard for tonight.... Don't despair! My fast and tasty Swiss Chard with Bacon recipe is delicious enough to convert almost any Leafy Greens doubter.
(I say *almost* because well... I have yet to convert my own, but he's a hard nut to crack)
Don't be scared to use a little good quality bacon as a delicious, tempting gateway to bringing more greens into your life!
Make yesterday's you (the one who thought it was *such* a great idea to walk into the house with a giant tree sticking out of your grocery bag) proud, and cook up some Scrummy Swiss Chard with Bacon!
“I do eat a lot of greens. I eat healthy, but I'm not a vegetarian.”
SCRUMMY SWISS CHARD WITH BACON
Gluten free, Dairy free, Paleo
servings: 2-3 as a side dish, 1 as a main
Time: 20 mins
equipment: large frying pan or wok, knife & cutting board
- Swiss Chard, 1 bunch, washed, dried and chopped thinly
- Good bacon, 1 strip, cut into thin pieces (aka Lardons)
- Shallot, 1 (or 1/2 a small onion)sliced into thin rounds
- Garlic, 1 clove sliced thin
- Fry bacon on medium, sizzling heat
- when the bacon starts to brown and shrink and the fat has run out, add the garlic then the shallots.
- Once garlic and shallots are see-through and slightly browned, start piling in the washed, sliced chard. It will still be wet and create its own steam.
- steam-fry everything, stirring constantly to avoid sticking, for about 10 minutes until the chard stalk bits are soft.
- Serve and eat right away, on its own or as a side dish.
I'm having mine with a nice bit of Rainbow Trout tonight! How about you?